Friday, June 27, 2014

Canada Day Blog Hop: Canadian Money Freebie

This week, in celebration of Canada's 147th birthday, I am participating in a Canada Day blog hop, and I am blogging about a Canadian Money freebie that I created in celebration of Canada Day. 

This freebie includes two Canadian money interactive activities to help students practice the important skill of counting money. 


The first activity in this freebie is a 'Flyer Shopping Challenge' where students cut out an advertisement from a local grocery store flyer and they either cut out the paper coins provided in the freebie or use real, plastic, or money stamps to represent the exact amount of money that you would need to purchase that item. This activity is fun and interactive, and more importantly it shows students how math can be used in a real life situation. 


As mentioned above, plastic 'play' coins and Canadian money stamps can be purchased at your local teacher supply store. I got mine from Kool and Child in Nanaimo B.C. As you can see my money stamps are well used. Money stamps are great for math centres and for extra practice. 



The second activity in my freebie is a counting money game. Where students take turns spinning the money wheel three times each and then adding up the money the spinner lands on. The player with the most money at the end of the game wins. 



The money spinner works best if you cut out the circle. Glue the circle onto a paper plate and then use a paper fastener to attach the spinner. You can also purchase better spinners (that really spin) at your local teacher supply store. I hope your classes enjoy this freebie! Happy Canada Day! 

You can find more Canadian money activities, games, and worksheets in my Canadian Money Unit.


13 comments :

  1. Awesome freebie! Thanks so much for your hard work!

    :) Shelley
    The Write Stuff Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for much your kind words and for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  2. Money money money! Love it! A few months ago I couldn't find anything to recommend to my primary friends for Canadian money...now there are few awesome ones, like yours!
    Sidney
    Teachingisagift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm so glad you like this freebie!
      Jessicca

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for Participating and Actually being Canadian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting I'm glad to be part of this blog hop and get to collaborate with so much great Canadian teachers! Hahaha Yes I'm actually Canadian!
      Best wishes,
      Jessicca

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for your positive comments! I'm excited to be able to participate in this blog hop and to share this freebie with others!
    Thanks again,
    Jessicca

    ReplyDelete
  5. THis is a fabulous little freebie, Jessicca! Thank you so much.
    You live in Nanaimo? We're practically next door neighbours...I live in Victoria. So glad to have found another Canadian/BC/Island blogger!

    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas! I'm a fellow islander - I'm in Victoria!

    Instead of buying expensive spinners, I use paper clips. Put a paper clip in the middle of the circle, hold it down with a pencil, and spin away! Super easy to use.

    Diane
    One Teacher's Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea!
      Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)
      Jessicca

      Delete
  7. Love your store! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      I really appreciate your kind words! :)
      Jessicca

      Delete
  8. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At :mrhamdnloanoffer@gmail.com
    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Business Loans And many More:
    Contact Us At :mrhamdnloanoffer@gmail.com
    YOU CAN ALSO ADD US ON WHATSAPP (+447448271138)

    ReplyDelete