Saturday, July 12, 2014

You Oughta Know About... Assessment Flowers


I am very excited to announce that I am participating in the "You Oughta Know About.. Blog Hop!". This is a clever idea for a blog hop where bloggers were asked to come up with a teaching idea that they beleive other teachers should know about, and would benefit from using in their classrooms. I have chosen to share a formative assessment strategy called assessment flowers. Please enjoy my blog post and make sure to click on the links at the bottom of the page to visit other participating blogs and learn from other terrific blogger's teaching ideas too! 

You oughta know about assessment flowers. Assessment flowers are a terrific formative assessment strategy that I use with my students at the beginning of the school year and again with the same topics at the end of the school year. This lesson ties in nicely with goal setting and fits perfectly with student portfolios. Assessment flowers are easy to make and they only take about 20 minutes to complete. I have done this lesson with grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students. Assessment flowers are great at the beginning of the school year because you, as a teacher, will get to know your students better from these little flowers. Assessment flowers are also a terrific way for students to physically see their confidence in their abilities grow.




 How do you make assessment flowers? 

 Making assessment flowers are easy. Choose 3 subjects that you would like your students to focus their growth on, and 1 subject that you know will allow the students who have low self esteem in their academic abilities can shine in. I usually choose reading, writing, math, and P.E. (P.E. being the non academic subject that almost everyone in the primary grades can give themselves a big flower in). Next have students write these subjects along the bottom of a blank piece of white paper. After that, explain to students that they are going to draw a flower for each of these subjects. The flower that you draw is going to represent how you feel about your ability to do your work in that subject. 

 I usually do a demonstration on the white board by walking students through how I would make my own assessment flowers. I talk the class through my thinking about why my flowers are the size that they are. For example for my assessment flowers I would draw a big flower with colourful petals and lots of leaves for reading because I love to read, I read a lot, and I see the movie in my mind when I’m reading and thats how I know I’m a good reader. I am really honest with the class, and I will tell them my math flower is smaller because math has always been a struggle for me. I sometimes need extra practice and thats okay because I always do my best and ask for help when I need it. The main idea is if you are good at the subject you need to make a big and colourful flower with lots of details, or if you need improvement your flower is smaller with lots of room for growth. 




Why flowers?
The symbolism of the flowers is important because it shows that even though your math flower might be small now it can grow with a little extra time, patience, and practice. This also goes for other flowers that might be so big that it is meeting the top of the paper, there is still always room for more growth.




What do you do with the assessment flowers? 

 I like to keep the assessment flowers in the student’s portfolios with other student work samples and reflections. It is important to explain to students that we are creating these assessment flowers at the beginning of the year as a starting point, so that we can see how much growth we all have made throughout the school year.  After the class has completed their final assessment flowers at the end of the school year, they can then compare their beginning of the year flowers with their end of the year flowers and see the growth they have made throughout the school year. 




6 comments :

  1. I absolutely LOVE this idea! Everything about it is awesome! I am pinning it and plan on sharing with my 2nd grade team. What a great way to set goals, encourage, and reflect. I too have a small math flower and can't wait to share with my kiddos next year. Thanks
    ReddishAnn
    The ReddishBrown Crayon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I have a school garden and am always looking for ways that I can connect my classroom teachers to the garden. I can't wait to share this one! Love the blog design!

    Renee at The Science School Yard

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love seeing your actual student drawings! Teaching Science With Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, what a clever idea for student self reflection. I also love the phrasing that we all have time and room to grow.
    Debbie
    Crockett's Classroom . . . Forever in Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! Thank you for sharing! Do you think that it would work for the lower grades?

    Jasmine
    Buzzing With Mrs. McClain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jasmine
      I have done this activity with grade 2-4 students and they were all successful with the activity. I think this activity could work for k or grade 1 students if the activity was modified. For example younger students could make a flower for 'How you feel about counting to 10' or 'how you feel about writing your name' or 'saying your ABC's. This activity could be used in a variety of different ways.
      Good luck and best wishes,
      Jessicca

      Delete