Friday, April 14, 2017

STEM Easter Baskets and Traditionalish Easter Egg Decorating...

For Easter this year in the classroom, I decided to keep things simple and traditional. It was also report card season, so things have been insanely busy! Because of the craziness of my schedule we decorated our hard boiled eggs the way that I decorated Easter eggs when I was small. 


First the students used crayons to draw designs on 
their eggs. I separated all of the white crayons that we had in the classroom for students to use, but I also welcomed students to use the rest of the crayons as well. I then set up a 'dye station' where students dipped their eggs in a solution made out of one cup water, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, and 7-10 drops of food colouring. I kept things very simple. I only had red, blue, and yellow coloured dyes for students to choose from. Our eggs were simple, but also super colourful! Students were welcome to take their eggs home or eat them at school. 

Yesterday we designed and built our Easter Baskets for students to carry their decorated Easter eggs home in. I set up the Easter baskets like I set up my other STEM activities (My class has been doing a lot of STEM activities. Stay tuned for later blog posts with pictures, ideas, and announcements about how I have been incorporating STEM into my classroom). For the Easter baskets, I told the students that they were given the challenge of designing and constructing a basket using only popsicle sticks and white glue. (I did not allow them to use a hot glue gun, but I did give them a hint about letting the walls of their baskets dry before construction). Later, when the baskets were close to completion, handed out little flowers, ribbon, and nesting materials that I found from our local dollar store to decorate their baskets. Unlike other STEM challenges we have done, students made their baskets independently, not in small groups and students were NOT asked to write about and reflect on what they learned and what they would do differently next time... ect. Overall the baskets turned out really well! They were cute and functional. 


If you are looking for Spring activities to use in your classroom check out my Bubbles: A Science Unit. This unit is all about hands on science experiments with a focus on making predictions, trial and error, and the scientific method. Each bubble experiment comes with directions and a experiment reflection page. 

Another terrific Spring unit would be my Worms and Composting unitThis unit is packed full of activities all about worms and composting. This unit includes directions for having a compost in your classroom. (I did this activity with a grade 2 class and they loved monitoring the breakdown of the fruit peels and other compost material from their lunches). I have also included a variety of activities designed to help your students have a better understanding of these little misunderstood creatures. 

And last, but not least! My Exploring Our Local Environment is a 31 page unit designed to get your students outdoors and learning about their own local outdoor surroundings. This unit is perfect for the end of the school year! 

All three of these terrific units are highly engaging, hands on, and include the outdoors which is perfect for keeping students busy, interested, and learning as the weather gets warmer and the school year starts to come to an end! 

No comments :

Post a Comment